Which are the Best Dehumidifiers for Basements? 11 October 2018
High humidity levels in your home can lead to mold, dust mites, and mildew before you know it, and no region is more in danger of dampness than the basement. Luckily there are dehumidifiers specially designed for basements and using one regularly can help check the dampness and create a healthier home overall.
Factors to consider when chosing a Basement Dehumidifier
There are dehumidifiers of all sizes on the market, ranging from compact, portable units that are ideal for small spaces, to enormous appliances that can suck up to 70 pints of moisture out of the air in a 24-hour timespan. There are also additional features to chose from – large moisture removal capacities, sound levels, continuous drainage system, Energy Rating, automatic operation and more. Here’s a comparasion of some of the Amazon Best -Sellers Dehumidifiers to help you chose the best for your home
The Keystone KSTAD70B is a powerful unit removing 70 pints of moisture for area up to 3,800 square feet, making it a good choice for dehumidifying Basements/Entire home. Features include electronic controls with LED display, a 24-hour timer, Auto -Restart option, a transparent water level indicator and a full bucket alert with automatic shutoff.
- Fan controls (normal or turbo), Continuous draining option, and 4 durable, rolling casters for easy movement.
- It also comes with removable, easy-cleaning dust filter with a clean-filter alert.
- The Keystone’s water-collection reservoir holds just 10.4 pints and does not come with a drain pump.
- It’s also a large heavy unit and hence not a great option for small-size rooms.
Frigidaire 70-Pint Dehumidifier
The Frigidaire FAD704DWD dehumidifier can remove 70 pints of excess moisture for rooms up to 1,400 square feet in size, making it ideal for a damp basement. The unit’s tank can hold upto to 15.3 pints of water and can be drained continously using the garden hose.
- Exceptionally quiet ,this SpaceWise Portable design includes a top handle, integrated side handles and caster wheels making it easy to move from room to room.
- It is one of the most affordable ($225) high performing models in the 70 Pint category making it a very popular choice.
- The unit does not feature the Defrost Mode
- Limited Hygrometer Accuracy : Built-in hygrometer only reads in 5% increments
The Danby dehumidifier operates quietly on 2 fan speeds (high/low) in rooms up to 4,500 square feet. Easy to maintain, portable and the automatic de-icing feature ensures the coils are always ice-free while the low temperature feature allows the system to operate at low temperatures (41F)
- This unit has an automatic restart and 2 fan speeds(a high and low)
- It comes with castors for easy portability, continuous operation, and a removable air filter that is easy to clean.
- The unit is a bit loud and there is no continual drainage option.
- Its also an expensive unit compared to other large capacity dehumidifiers available in the market
Honeywell DH70W 70 Pint Dehumidifier
This Energy Star Honeywell Dehumidifier removing up to 70 pints of moisture every 24 hours is ideal for basements, kitchens, cellar & crawl spaces up to 4000 Sq. Ft. This unit comes with 2 fan speeds (hi & low), a 24-hour programmable timer and a large, detachable, anti-spill water tank holding up to 14.4 pints of moisture.
- Digital, humidistat control senses room humidity and activates dehumidification
- Large LED digital display indicates room temperature, humidity level and timer settings
- 2 fan speeds (hi & low) plus 24-hour programmable timer
- The unit misses the drain hose required for continous drainage.
- Its loud given the big size and best suited only for large spaces.